Showcasing the best of the best about pages on the web.
Best About Pages is here to showcase the best about us pages on the web. The about pages showcased here have certain elements that make them the best. Your about page should represent you in the best way possible. Think of your about page as the face of you or your company. It shouldn't just be a page with a boring list of your services and a map to your office. Your about page should have the same feel as if you were introducing yourself at a cocktail party or social event. You wouldn't walk up to a stranger and say, "Hi, I'm Dave. I'm
proficient at design and development. I started my company in 2003. Hire me." You would never do that! Your about page needs to be highly engaging to the reader in a creative way. Below, there is a group of ingredients that make an about page awesome. Ingredients like, Great Copy, Awesome Photography, Videos, Illustrations and Employee Profiles. If your about page is lacking in the majority of those items, you may consider rethinking how you view your about page. After all, it's the face of your entire company.
Ingredients for an Awesome About Page
- Great copy is super important. This may be the most important part of your about page. If you're lucky enough to have the budget for a good copy writer, you're set. If you have to write your own copy, be sure it's coming from the heart. And speak the truth. If you are the only employee of your company, don't refer to yourself as "we". Write it in a way that sounds like you're talking to a friend while still being professional. Don't just give a list of your services and call it day. Put some thought into.
- Awesome photography can make or break, not only an about page, but an entire site. Everyone loves Apple's website. I get it. It's amazing. But why? Is it because of the white background? No. Is it because of the gray buttons? No. I'll tell you why…It's because of their amazing photography. They have put the time, effort, and money into the photography on the site. You should too. You don't have to spend a ton of money to have great photography. With the right styling and lighting, you can accomplish great things.
- Videos can add a lot to an about page. Done right, it can create a "bookmark worthy" about page. A video? A video of what? Maybe it's a Ustream or Qik live feed of your design team playing Nerf basketball. Or maybe it's a video reel of your most recent projects. It could even be a fun video of your entire team doing something crazy. Or a video shot in an artistic way that showcases your team and what you do. For instance, Blitz Agency in Santa Monica, California has an amazing example of an awesome "About Us" video.
- Illustrations are always nice. I love them. If you offer illustration as one of your services, then you should for sure feature them on your about page and throughout your website. Illustrations can add a nice design element to the overall layout of your about page. They give a nice break from your everyday run of the mill photography. One of my favorite illustrators is Matt Lehman from Nashville.
- Bookmark Worthy websites get lots of traffic. And typically lots of traffic can mean more business for you and your company. There are several websites out there that feature great design. If your site is picked up by these sites, you will see your Google Analytics sky rocket. When designing your about page or your website, ask yourself, "Is this 'bookmark worthy'?"
- Employee Profiles are a nice way for your viewers to get to know your peeps. Featuring your employees helps your clients gain trust in your company. It's important for people to put a name with a face. Each employee should at least have their photo, name, title and short bio. Paramore, in Nashville has gone as far as making profiles for their resident dogs.